On this page are some links that might be of interest to you
Professional Psychology in NZ Links
- www.psychology.org.nz The NZ Psychological Society (NZPsS) – our professional organisation.
NZPsS has a “find a psychologist” section (called PsychDirect) allowing you to search for a psychologist by location and issue at:
They are also the source of the Code of Ethics which all Psychologists have to practice by, which you can view at: http://www.psychology.org.nz/about/Code_of_Ethics_2002.html
- www.nzccp.co.nz The NZ College of Clinical Psychologists has good information about choosing a psychologist, the difference between psychologists and psychiatrists and things like that.
Relationship & Sexuality Links
- http://www.couplestherapynz.com/blog/ This blog is written for the public about relationships and has contributions from Nic and Verity as well as some of our senior colleagues in Aotearoa. The same website also has a good page on how to make the most of couple therapy
- https://www.couplesinstitute.com/couples-blog/ Dr Ellyn Bader & Dr Pete Pearson are some of the wisest and most generous therapists we have ever met. Their blog is a mind of useful tips and advice
- http://crucible4points.com The home of Dr David Schnarch & Dr Ruth Morehouse, founders of the Crucible Approach. Has quizzes, guides, interactive forums and more.
- www.gottman.com Website of another leading relationship expert including a couple of interesting quizzes at: http://www.gottman.com/marriage/relationship_quiz/
- Family Court of New Zealand Information relating to family court system and services in New Zealand. In particular they have a great section giving you good information you might need when if you are breaking up https://www.justice.govt.nz/family/relationship-break-up/
- Family Planning Association of New Zealand Provides sexual and reproductive health information, clinical services, education, training and research.
- Sexual Intelligence, the blog of the wonderful sex therapist and educator Dr Marty Klein
- Scarleteen is a fabulous sex education site aimed at teens and young adults but a lot of the information is good for all ages.
- Justine Andrew is an experienced specialist urological nurse who is also a yoga teacher. She can help men and women with all sorts of sexual problems from recurrent UTIs to erectile problems following prostate surgery
- Sexual Health Specialists are two wonderful doctors who offer private sexual health services – including for STIs, pain and skin conditions
- Pelvic Floor Physiotherapy are experienced and friendly physiotherapists who specialise in working with sexual issues for men and women as well as pain, post surgery problems and lots more.
Self Help Links
Disclaimer: We don’t necessarily endorse what’s on these sites – there is a lot of rubbish on the internet and you have to use your own discretion. However to the best of our knowledge these sites are reputable places to start if you want to inform yourself. But if you have a serious problem, seek professional help.
- https://centerformsc.org/learn-msc/ Learn about Mindful Self Compassion – including an online training programme
- www.psychcentral.com Dr Grohol’s Mental Health Page: a big American site (or portal) with links to all kinds of mental health and self-help information. Written with some humour and humanity.
- www.selfhelpmagazine.com Another big American site in more of a magazine format – lots of cached articles.
- www.psywww.com PsychNet is mainly a site for students of psychology but it also has a very good page of links to free self-help sites, organised by problem, at:http://www.psywww.com/resource/selfhelp.htm
- http://www.psychnet-uk.com/index.html Psychnet UK is a similar big “portal” site, but British based. It has a huge list of on-line support groups at http://www.psychnet-uk.com/chat_rooms/mental_health_chatrooms.htm
- Youthline Directory of services and resources for youth in need.
- Mental Health Foundation of New Zealand. Promotes mental health and wellbeing in New Zealand.https://www.mentalhealth.org.nz/
- http://www.everybody.co.nz/index.html NZ sourced health info on a wide range of topics including a stress test at: http://www.everybody.co.nz/quiz_stress.html and a list of health support groups
- http://www.brain-injury-nz.org/ The primary organisation in NZ helping people with brain injuries and their families
General Psychology Links
- www.psychologytoday.com Psychology is a big field and this magazine has been popularising it for decades. Lots of fun reading if you are interested in what makes people tick.
- http://www.psychology.org/links The Encyclopedia of Psychology – a good general resource site about psychology which has a great list of funny psychology-related sites at: http://www.psychology.org/links/Resources/Humor/
- www.thymos.com/mind.html An amazing collection of book reviews on anything to do with the mind – pretty academic but interesting if you are that way inclined.
- http://www.homestead.com/flowstate/page1.html Dr Mezmer’s world of bad psychology. One person’s critical but humorous look at some of the popular ideas in modern psychology